VIII Chapter 0011: Test For Success Answers
1. A co-worker is updating her computer. Because of this, the recycle bin is at the currently set capacity. As additional files are added to the recycle bin, what happens to the excess files in the Recycle Bin?
A. Clusters are relocated to a secondary location
B. The files are moved to C:\Windows\Temp.
C. Sectors of hard drive are blanked/erased.
D. Associated entries in the FAT are removed.
E. File entries are marked with a ~, indicating it is OK to use the space in temporary folder C:\Windows\Temp
2. What program does Windows 95 use, when there is the need to shut down and restart in DOS mode?
3. When using a multiboot configuration with Windows 9x, the configuration is stored in which file?
Explanation: In older versions of DOS, MSDOS.SYS was a real executable file. Now its just a config file. IO.SYS is a binary file. SYSTEM.INI and CONFIG.SYS contain configuration information, but not for multi-boot.
4. Select the statements that would be found in the autoexec.bat file? (Choose all that apply)
Explanation: The other statements are config.sys file statements.
5. Before installing or upgrading software, what steps would be experienced technician take first? (Choose all that apply)
A. Copy IO.SYS.
B. Backup .INI files.
C. Copy BOOTSEC.DOS.
D. Confirm OS compatibility.
E. Determine minimum memory required.
Explanation: Yes, all of the above.
6. Using the System Configuration Editor in Windows 9x, what files can be modified? (Choose all that apply)
A. WIN INI
Explanation: You cannot change BOOT.INI or MSDOS.SYS from the System Configuration Editor.
7. After installing Windows 98 on a 11GB hard drive, only 7.8GB is usable. What steps can you take to resolve this challenge? (Choose all that apply)
A. Reinstall Windows 98 from the OEM CD.
B. Install Windows98 SE with large hard drive support.
C. Use fdisk.exe inside of windows 98 from DOS prompt.
D. Reformat the hard drive overlay that comes with the drive.
E. Contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade.
8. You need to create a system log. How can you get a printout of your system's configuration on a Windows 9x operating system? (Choose all that apply)
A. From the System Monitor, click the print button.
B. From the Device Manager, click the print button.
C. From a DOS prompt type sys and press <printscrn>.
D. From a DOS prompt type msdn and press <printscrn>.
9. You are trying to run a DOS application which gives you an error stating that the application does not run under Windows. What should you try first to resolve the issue? (Choose all that apply)
A. Reload the DOS application from the MS-DOS command prompt.
B. Configure the setver command to allow you to run the DOS program.
C. Install a third party program that will allow you to run the DOS program.
D. Select 'Prevent this program from detecting Windows' in the advanced properties of the DOS application.
10. Which of the following can load device drivers in Windows 9x? (Choose all that apply)
Explanation: Usually only config.sys is used, but some drivers load in AUTOEXEC.BAT as well. BOOT.INI controls multi-boot, MS-DOS.SYS also contains boot parameters.
11. Of the following choices, which of these files are text files in Windows 9x? (Choose all that apply)
Explanation: HIGHMEM.SYS does not exist. COMMAND.COM is the executable command interpreter.
12. Which files can you edit in Windows 9x in SYSEDIT? (Choose all that apply)
Explanation: IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM are binary files, and MSDOS.SYS is not editable from SYSEDIT.
13. What is the correct order for the DOS-level boot files in Windows 9x?
A. MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT.
B. IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT.
C. IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS.
D. IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT.
Explanation: Remember, file names in order of length!
14. Which switch should you type after a DOS command to get a list of valid switches and their Notess for that particular command as well as an Notes of what they do?
Explanation: /? Is the universal DOS get me help on this command switch. The others have no particular standard significance.
15. You are troubleshooting a PC. The user was changing settings, and now you want to replace the current copy of the registry with an older copy. The Windows GUI will not open. Which command should you type at a DOS prompt?
A. SCANREG /REVISE
B. SCANREG /RESTORE
C. SCANREG /REPLACE
D. SCANREG /REVERSE
E. SCANREG /UNDO
Explanation: SCANREG/RESTORE will hopefully restore a working copy of the registry. The other options are not valid.
16. An employee deleted some files from DOS, and was disappointed that they were not placed in the Recycle Bin. What methods should they use to delete files, if s/he wants them backed up in the Recycle Bin? (Choose all that apply)
A. My Computer.
B. Windows Explorer.
C. The DEL command.
D. The Erase command.
E. The Deltree command.
Explanation: When the DOS command line is used to delete files, as with DEL, erase and deltree, they are not placed in the Recycle Bin.
17. DOS SmartDrive is replaced by what in Windows 95?
B. RAM Drive
E. VROOM Drive
Explanation: The others are not standard components of Windows 95.
18. What DOS command would you use to hide a file named PASS.doc in the current directory?
A. ATTRIB =H PASS.DOC
B. ATTRIB +H PASS.DOC
C. ATTRIB -H PASS.DOC
D. ATTRIB /HIDE PASS.DOC
E. ATTRIB #HIDE PASS.DOC
Explanation: To add the hidden attribute, you would use the ATTRIB command with a +H specifier. To remove the hidden attribute, you would use the ATTRIB command with a H specifier. The other options are invalid.
19. Which system file in Windows 9x should be kept at a minimum size of 1KB?
Explanation: The other system files mentioned dont have a minimum length requirement. The length requirement on MSDOS.SYS comes from the fact that it used to be a binary executable file.
20. You want to edit MSDOS.SYS from DOS. What must be run from a command prompt first.
A. RUN SYSEDIT
B. RUN REGEDIT
C. ATTRIB -S -H -R MSDOS.SYS
D. ATTRIB +S +H +R MSDOS.SYS
E. ATTRIB /S /H /R MSDOS.SYS
Explanation: ATTRIB S H R MSDOS.SYS must be run before MSDOS.SYS can be edited from DOS. SYSEDIT and REGEDIT are not used to edit MSDOS.SYS. MSDOS.SYS starts out life as a system, hidden, read-only file. In order to edit it, you must remove those attributes. Removing attributes is done with the rather than the + sign. If you wanted to add those attributes to a file, you would use a command line similar to D.
21. You suspect registry corruption when your computer will not allow you into Windows 95. What command, entered at a DOS prompt, will attempt to repair a corrupt registry file?
A. SCANREG /FIX
B. CHDKSK /REGISTRY
C. SCANREG / REPAIR
D. SCANDISK /REG
E. SCANDISK /REPAIR
Explanation: The other options are invalid. SCANDISK and CHKDISK check disk and file system consistency, not the registry.
22. COMMAND.COM in the root directory has been corrupted on your Windows 9x computer. Where can you find a duplicate copy of command.com?
23. A long file name in Windows 9x can be changed using which method?
A. In Windows Explorer, choose File, Rename.
B. From an MS-DOS prompt, type 'ren <filename> <newfilename>'.
C. From the Control Panel, click System, then click Rename.
D. In Windows Explorer, choose Tools, Rename File.
E. From DOS, choose FILE-REN.exe
Explanation: The other options will not perform a file rename.
24. What three places should you check to see where an application is launching from that launches on every Windows boot? You do not want it to load every time. (Choose all that apply)
C. Startup folder
Explanation: SYSTEM.INI isnt used to launch applications, nor is MSDOS.SYS.
25. COMMAND.COM in the root directory has been corrupted on your Windows 9x computer. Where can you find a duplicate copy of command.com?
26. Your computer will not boot. What command can you use to restore a backup copy of the registry from DOS?
Explanation: SCANREG will do this (when the /RESTORE switch is used). CHKDSK and SCANDISK check the consistency of the filesystem (or underlying sectors) on a disk. CHKREG is not a valid command.
27. Windows 98 is failing to start for the first time after you see the Starting Windows 98 message. What can you do to troubleshoot this problem? (Choose all that apply)
A. Type WIN.EXE at a command prompt to start Windows.
B. Type WIN/D:M at a command prompt to start Windows in Safe Mode.
C. Run the System Information Utility from an MS-DOS prompt.
D. Run the DOS version of Dr. Watson at a command prompt.
E. Press F8 when Windows is restarting and select safe mode.
Explanation: Both of these actions start Windows in Safe Mode (note: /D:M = start Windows with minimal drivers). If Windows does successfully start up and get past the Starting Windows 98 message when running in Safe Mode, then you know you have a driver issue, and can start troubleshooting from there.
Home - Table Of Contents - Contact Us
CertiGuide to A+ (Operating Systems) (http://www.CertiGuide.com/apluso/) on CertiGuide.com
Version 1.0 - Version Date: January 7, 2005
Adapted with permission from a work created by Tcat Houser.
CertiGuide.com Version © Copyright 2005 Charles M. Kozierok. All Rights Reserved.
Not responsible for any loss resulting from the use of this site.