XXIII Chapter 1100: Test for Success Questions
1. Your company has recently added a new workstation to the network. The network is using both TCP/IP and IPX/SPX protocols. The servers on the network are running IPX/SPX only. The new workstation can connect to the other workstations using TCP/IP, but it cannot connect to the servers. What should you check first?
A. IP Address
B. DHCP settings
C. Subnet Mask
D. Frame Type
2. The computer you just built gives you a series of beep when it is powered on. What should you do first?
A. There is nothing wrong. Boot again
B. Count the beeps. Look up the beep code in the motherboard manual or look it up on the BIOS manufacturers website.
C. Replace the motherboard
D. Replace the RAM
E. Replace the video card.
3. A user complains that she cannot see anything on here monitor. The monitor is powered on and has a green light showing. The computer successfully POSTs and appears to be loading the OS. What should you check first?
A. Reseat the video card
B. Replace the VGA cable.
C. Check the brightness setting
D. Replace the monitor
4. A workstation on your network is not connecting to any other computers. You verified that the domain and IP settings are correct. You can successfully PING 127.0.0.1 and the computers IP address. The back of the NIC has no light illuminated. The port on the hub that the workstation is plugged into has no light illuminated either. What should you check first?
A. Replace the NIC
B. Reinstall TCP/IP
C. Check the DHCP settings
D. Replace the drop cable with a known working cable.
5. You are trying to read a floppy disk in you OS, but the OS is showing the contents of the last floppy disk that was in the machine. What should you do first?
A. Replace the floppy cable
B. Flip-flop the ribbon cable
C. Replace the FDD
D. Get a new floppy disk
6. A printer you are servicing is reporting that it is out of paper even though plenty is loaded. What should you check first?
A. Replace the printer cable
B. Reinstall the printer driver
C. Try different paper.
D. Clean the inside of the printer with canned air
7. A computer you are servicing will not allow you to set a display mode higher than 640 x 480 with 16 colors. What should you do first?
A. Replace the video card
B. Reload the video drivers
C. Replace the VGA cable
D. Replace the RAM
8. You are trying to connect to a shared folder on your network. The computer gives you an error of Access Denied. What should you check first?
A. Reinstall TCP/IP
B. Reset your login password
C. Check the permissions of the folder
D. Replace the drop cable
9. A computer that you are working has an external serial modem that connects to the Internet just fine in HyperTerminal. However, when you move the mouse to launch your browser, the computer locks up. What is the issue?
A. Replace the mouse
B. Replace the serial cable to the modem
C. Dont use the mouse
D. Check the IRQ settings for the modem and mouse
10. You are troubleshooting a PC. You reboot and are immediately asked to enter a password to continue with POST. What should you do?
A. Replace the motherboard
B. Set the Clear CMOS jumper
C. Replace the BIOS chip
D. The system is trashed. Get a new one
Home - Table Of Contents - Contact Us
CertiGuide to A+ (Core Hardware) (http://www.CertiGuide.com/aplush/) on CertiGuide.com
Version 1.0 - Version Date: December 6, 2004
Adapted with permission from a work created by Tcat Houser.
CertiGuide.com Version © Copyright 2004 Charles M. Kozierok. All Rights Reserved.
Not responsible for any loss resulting from the use of this site.