XI Chapter 0111: Test for Success Answers
1. What set of standards defines serial communications?
A. IEEE 8802
B. IEEE 1284
C. IEEE 1394
Explanation: Recommended Standard 232C (RS-232C) is the standard outlined for serial communications.
2. What two connectors are commonly used for serial communications?
A. Centronics 36
B. DB-15 female
C. DB-9 male
D. DB-25 female
E. DB-25 male
Explanation: On the PC side, serial connectors come in DB-25 male or DB-9 male flavors. DB-25 female on the PC side is a parallel port connector.
3. What parallel port mode uses a DMA channel?
B. Bi-directional parallel
Explanation: Enhanced Capabilities Port (ECP) uses a DMA channel, typically DMA 3.
4. Identify the connector shown in Figure 90:
A. USB A
B. USB B
Explanation: This is a DB-15 female connector. Specifically, it is a VGA connector, because the pins are arranged in 3 rows. If it were a two row DB-15 female, it would be a Gameport / MIDI connector.
5. What is the connector in Question 4 commonly used for?
Explanation: The DB-15 female in 3 rows is a VGA connector.
6. What wireless communications method requires clear line-of-site?
Explanation: Infrared devices (IrDA) require a clear line of site between the transmitting and receiving devices.
7. How many devices can be used in a USB chain?
Explanation: A single USB root hub can support up to 127 devices, theoretically.
8. How many IRQs would a USB chain with a mouse, keyboard, and printer use?
Explanation: Although a single chain can support 127 devices, the chain and all its devices only require 1 IRQ.
9. What is the theoretical bandwidth of a IEEE 1394 bus?
A. 12 Mb/s
B. 12 MB/s
C. 400 Mb/s
D. 400 MB/s
Explanation: An IEEE 1394 bus can support 63 devices and 400 Mb/s transfer rates. Watch out for the small b. it is different from a big B by a factor of 8.
10. What is IEEE 1394 commonly used for?
A. Internal HDD
D. Digital Video Cameras
Explanation: EEE 1394 is commonly used for high bandwidth devices, such as Digital Video Cameras.
11. What type of printer is commonly used for printing multi-part forms?
C. Daisy wheel
D. Dot Matrix
Explanation: Impact printers are the only printers that can output to multi-part forms. Although a daisy wheel would work, they are rarely used anymore.
12. You are servicing a laser printer. The pages come out of the printer with ghost images of the previous page. Which component do you suspect?
A. Primary corona
B. Transfer corona
C. Developing roller
Explanation: Ghost images are commonly an effect of the photosensitive drum not being conditioned thoroughly after the last print. The Primary Corona Wire does this.
13. You are servicing a dot matrix printer that is shutting down sporadically. What should you replace first?
A. Print head
C. Paper feed rollers
Explanation: The thermistor in a dot matrix printer is responsible for slowing down or shutting off the printer should it get too hot. If it goes bad, it can turn the printer off sporadically, even if it is not hot.
14. What is the command for resetting a modem to its default settings?
A. Reset COM1
Explanation: To reset a modem to its factory default settings, ATZ is typed in the HyperTerminal program.
15. You wish to dial 555-1212 with your modem using pulse dialing. You are in a building with a PBX that requires a 9 be dialed to reach an outside line. What command do you use?
A. ATD 5551212,9
B. ATDP 9,5551212
C. Dial 9,5551212
D. ATH1 9,5551212
Explanation: To dial using pulse, use the ATDP command, followed by the phone number. Because of the PBX, you preface the number with 9, which reaches the outside line and pauses for 2 seconds before dialing the number.
16. What 'standard' for modems was named after its creator?
Explanation: Denny Hayes is credited with creating the first modem. Hayes compatible modems have long been a standard.
17. What step comes after the conditioning phase is a laser printer?
Explanation: The writing phase follows the conditioning phase. It is here that the laser paints an image of what is to be printed on the photosensitive drum.
18. What methods are used to transfer ink to paper in Inkjet technology? Choose two
A. Boiling ink
B. Vibrating crystals
C. Compressed air
Explanation: The two most common methods, Bubble Jet and Piezo-electric, use boiling ink and vibrating crystals respectively.
19. What is the theoretical bandwidth of a USB 1.2 bus?
A. 12 MB/s
B. 12 Mb/s
C. 480 MB/s
D. 400 Mb/s
Explanation: USB 1.2 has a theoretical bandwidth of 12 Mb/s. The new USB 2.0 standard will have a theoretical bandwidth of 480 Mb/s
20. You find a cable that has a DB-25 male connector on one end, and a Centronics 36 male connector on the other. What type of cable is it?
A. IEEE 1284
B. IEEE 1394
C. Null modem cable
D. RS-232C cable
Explanation: A cable with a DB-25 male connector on one end and a Centronics 36 connector on the other is a printer cable. The official name for it is an IEEE 1284 cable.
Home - Table Of Contents - Contact Us
CertiGuide to A+ (Core Hardware) (http://www.CertiGuide.com/aplush/) on CertiGuide.com
Version 1.0 - Version Date: December 6, 2004
Adapted with permission from a work created by Tcat Houser.
CertiGuide.com Version © Copyright 2004 Charles M. Kozierok. All Rights Reserved.
Not responsible for any loss resulting from the use of this site.