The objective of
this chapter is to provide the reader with an understanding of the following:
1.2 Identify basic procedures for
adding removing field replaceable modules for both desktop and portable
- Storage Devices; Processor/CPU; Memory; Input
- Hard Drive; Keyboard; Video Board; Mouse
1.3 Identify available IRQs, DMAs,
and I/O addresses and procedures for device installation and configuration.
1.6 Identify proper procedures for
installing and configuring SCSI devices.
- Expansion slots; EISA, ISA, PCI
- Jumper block settings (binary equivalents)
3.2 Identify issues, procedures and
devices for protection within the computing environment, including people,
hardware and the surrounding workplace.
- Proper methods of storage of components for future
4.1 Distinguish between popular CPU
chips in terms of their basic characteristics.
- Popular CPU chips (Intel, AMD, Cyrix)
- Characteristics; Physical size; Voltage
- Speeds; Sockets
4.2 Identify the categories of RAM
(random access memory) terminology, their locations, and physical characteristics.
- Terminology: DRAM (dynamic random access memory)
4.3 Identify the most popular types
of motherboards, the components and architecture (bus structures and
- Bus architecture: ISA; PCI; AGP; VESA local bus